Ocean Atmosphere Parameters and Fluxes Climatology HOAPS
- Coverage, spatial and temporal resolution
- Data quality
- Contact person
- Data citation
RESTRICTED:This link to the data set is only available for a restricted user group. The data set is only accessible in CEN/MPI net or accessible from external nets with a customer account. Please contact ICDC if you would like to access this data from outside the network.
- View HOAPS data at LAS
- Access HOAPS data via OPeNDAP
- Data access via file system: /data/icdc/atmosphere/hoaps/
The Hamburg Ocean Atmosphere Parameters and Fluxes from Satellite Data (HOAPS) set is a climatology derived from satellite data of the freshwater budget, near surface wind and humidity, latent heat flux and vertically integrated water vapor over the ice-free oceans. HOAPS 4.0 extends (compared to v3.2) the data coverage from the Special Sensor Microwave / Imager (SSM/I) period to the Special Sensor Microwave Imager and Sounder (SSMIS). The variables are derived from SSM/I and SSMIS passive microwave radiometers, with the exception of the sea-surface temperature, which is taken from the Reynolds data set. The data set includes instantaneous 6-hourly as well as monthly averaged data and is based on a inter-sensor difference calibrated SSM/I-SSMIS FCDR of brightness temperatures. For more information we refer to the Product User Guide, the ATBD and the Validation Report in the references.
All intellectual property rights of the CM SAF products belong to EUMETSAT. The use of these products is granted to every interested user, free of charge. If you wish to use these products, EUMETSAT's copyright credit must be shown by displaying the words "copyright (year) EUMETSAT" on each plot which is created from the product. For citing the used data in a paper please refer to publications of the data record if applicable and use the doi.
Last update of data set at ICDC: July 27, 2018.
|Wind speed at 10m height||m/s||wind, SWS|
|Near surface specific humidity||g/kg||hair, NSH|
|Latent heat flux||W/m²||late, LHF|
|Fresh water flux||mm/day||budg, EMP|
|Vertically integrated water vapour||kg/m²||wvpa, HTW|
Period and temporal resolution:
- 07/1987 to 12/2014
- Monthly mean, 6-hourly composite
Coverage and spatial resolution:
- quasi-global, over the oceans
- Spatial resolution: 0.5° x 0.5°, cartesian grid
- Geographic longitude: -180°E to 180°E
- Geographic latitude: -80°N to 80°N
- Dimension: 720 columns x 320 rows
- Altitude: 0.0 m
The data set contains a number of error and uncertainty information such as
- standard deviation [monthly data only]
- sampling error (a function of satellite overpass density and number of satellites used) [monthly data only]
- systematic uncertainty (as a result of standard error propagation)
- random uncertainty (as a result of standard error propagation)
Information about how these are retrieved can be found in the ATBD (see references).
In addition to the parameters the data sets also contain
- number of days with observations [monthly data only]
- observation time [6-hourly data only]
- number of observations
- satellite bit mask (indicating which satellites are used)
A few final notes:
- The product is only derived over sea surfaces; no geophysical parameter is observed within 50 km of any coastline and the sea-ice margin.
- All parameters except precipitation are NOT retrieved in presence of strong scattering (such as caused by strong precipitation)
- Useful information about the uncertainties, assumptions and limitations can be found in the ATBD, and the validation report (see references).
User Help Desk at CM-SAF
email: contact.cmsaf (at) dwd.de
ICDC / CEN / University of Hamburg
Manuals Version 4.0:
- CM SAF Algorithm Theoretical Baseline Document (ATBD) HOAPS version 4.0
- CM SAF Product User Manual (PUM) SSM/I and SSMIS data record products HOAPS version 4.0
- CM SAF Validation Report SSM/I and SSMIS products HOAPS version 4.0
Manuals Version 3.2:
- CM SAF Algorithm Theoretical Basis Document (ATBD) HOAPS release 3.2
- CM SAF Product User Manual (PUM) SSM/I data set products HOAPS release 3.2
- CM SAF Validation Report SSM/I products HOAPS release 3.2
- Andersson, A., et al., 2010: The Hamburg Ocean Atmosphere Parameters and Fluxes from Satellite Data – HOAPS-3, Earth Syst. Sci. Data, 2, 215-234, doi:10.5194/essd-2-215-2010.
- Fairall, C. W., et al., 2003: Bulk parameterization of Air-sea Fluxes: Updates and Verification for the COARE Algorithm, J. Climate, 16, 571–591, doi:10.1175/1520-0442(2003)016<0571:BPOASF>2.0.CO;2.
- Schröder, M., et al., 2013: The CM SAF SSM/I-based total column water vapour climate data record: methods and evaluation against re-analyses and satellite. Atmos. Meas. Tech., 6, 765–775, doi:10.5194/amt-6-765-2013.
- Schröder, M., et al., 2016: The GEWEX water vapor assessment (G-VAP) – results from the trend and homogeneity analysis. J. Applied Meteor. Clim., 55(7), 1633-1649, doi:10.1175/JAMC-D-15-
Please cite the data as follows:
Andersson, Axel; Graw, Kathrin; Schröder, Marc; Fennig, Karsten; Liman, Julian; Bakan, Stephan; Hollmann, Rainer; Klepp, Christian (2017): Hamburg Ocean Atmosphere Parameters and Fluxes from Satellite Data - HOAPS 4.0, Satellite Application Facility on Climate Monitoring, DOI:10.5676/EUM_SAF_CM/HOAPS/V002, http://dx.doi.org/10.5676/EUM_SAF_CM/HOAPS/V002
All intellectual property rights of the CM SAF products belong to EUMETSAT. The use of these
products is granted to every interested user, free of charge. If you wish to use these products,
EUMETSAT's copyright credit must be shown by displaying the words "copyright (year)
EUMETSAT" on each plot which is created from the product. For citing the used data in a paper
please refer to publications of the data record if applicable and use the doi.
and with the following acknowledgments:
Thanks to ICDC, CEN, University of Hamburg for data support.