Climate-KIC Journey in Hamburg
The Journey 2017: Develop Your Own Climate Start-up in Just Five Weeks
Together with Climate-KIC, the CEN is again co-hosting the 2017 Summer School “The Journey.”
Since 2010, “The Journey” has brought together students from various disciplines for a five-week Summer School. The participants travel to different locations within Europe and learn how to develop business concepts that address the challenges posed by climate change. Guided by professional coaches, they form teams, which in turn present their concepts to a jury of experts at the end of the five weeks.
Climate-KIC is an EU innovation initiative for climate protection technologies. Its chief goals include promoting young researchers and providing support for start-ups and other projects.
This year, for the second time, a group of 40 students will take part in the Summer School at the CEN.
Hamburg (30.07. bis 12.08.2017) – London (13.08. bis 26.08.2017) – Riga (27.08. bis 02.09.2017)
In the two weeks of the Summer School that the students spend in Hamburg, the focus will be on recognizing the current challenges of climate change, and on discussing key findings with professional researchers. In this regard, the CEN will share its expertise to help the students identify pressing problems and find new approaches to solving them. During this phase, the students will develop their initial ideas and build teams.
In London the teams will flesh out their ideas into start-up concepts, which they will subsequently present to a jury of experts in Riga.
Events and workshops
- Introduction to Climate Science – Prof. Dr. Hartmut Graßl
- Workshop on Urban Systems – Dr. Peter Hoffmann, Dr. Sarah Wiesner, Jana Fischereit (UrbMod, CEN, Universität Hamburg) Helpers: Marita Boettcher, Ines Friedrich und Dr. Anne Caroline Krefis
- Networking evening with local Start-ups and Initiatives incl. dinner at Betahaus
- Workshop on Decentral energy systems – Astrid Dose (Erneuerbare Energien Hamburg Clusteragentur GmbH), Till Barmeier (Siemens - AG), Dipl.-Ing. Marcel Hanakam (Averdung Ingenieurgesellschaft mbH) and Dr. Michael Link (CLISEC, ClISAP, CEN, Universität Hamburg)
- Energy bunker & IBA Projects – Lukas Grellmann, Adam Gancarczyk
- Workshop on Sustainable Land Use – Prof. Dr. Annette Eschenbach, Dr. Alexander Gröngröft, Prof. Dr. Uwe Schneider (CliSAP, CEN, Universität Hamburg)
- Unintended Consequences of Corporate Sustainability – Geneviewe Mortimer (Management & Sustainability, Faculty of Economics & Social Sciences, UHH)
- Ecosystem-based management of marine resources – Dr. Ralf Döring (CERES, CEN, Universität Hamburg)
- Workshop on Ecofriendly Workspaces at MINDSPACE
- Networking evening & Climate KIC alumni event
- Natural & Anthropogenic Emissions – Dr. Gholamali Hoshyaripour (Karlsruhe Institute of Technology)
- Climate security – Dr. Janpeter Schilling (University of Koblenz · Landau & CliSAP/CEN)
- Climpax (Climate Impact Rating) – Josua Oll (Faculty of Economics & Social Sciences, Universität Hamburg)
- Visit to the German Climate Computation Center - Dr. Michael Böttinger (DKRZ & CliSAP/CEN)
- Lecture & Workshop: Sustainable Business Models – Dr. Matthew Johnson (Management & Sustainability, Faculty of Economics & Social Sciences, Universität Hamburg)
- Workshop on Circular Economy – Christina Fagin (Grüner Hering)
Downloads and additional links
The participants of the Climate-KIC Journey 2017 on their first day in Hamburg.
Cimate-KIC Journey 2017: Networking Event with speakers from Gute Leude Fabrik / N Klub, NÜWIEL GmbH, Caté goods GmbH, Pydro and tbd Community.
Climate-KIC Journey 2016: Group photo at the end of part one in Hamburg. For the second part of Climate-KIC Journey the participants travelled to London.
Climate-KIC Journey 2016: Field trip to the so-called "Energiebunker" in Wilhelmsburg.
Climate-KIC Journey 2016: Winners of "Best Idea Award".
Climate-KIC Journey 2016:Impressions of the workshop about city climate.
Climate-KIC Journey 2016: The different teams extended their ideas in several workshops.