Sea surface temperature from AVHRR
- Coverage, spatial and temporal resolution
- Data quality
- Contact person
- Data citation
- Version 5.0: Get data (hdf) via anonymous ftp at PODAAC
- Version 5.2: Get data (netCDF) via anonymous ftp from NODC
RESTRICTED: This link to the data set is only available for a restricted user group. The data set is only accessible in CEN/MPI net or accessible from external nets with a customer account. Please contact ICDC if you would like to access this data from outside the network.
- Data access via file system: /data/icdc/ocean/pathfinder_sst_v5.2
This is data of a new re-analysis of the AVHRR data archive, developed within the "AVHRR Pathfinder Version 5 SST Project (Pathfinder V5)" at Rosenstiel School of Marine and Atmospheric Science (RSMAS), University of Miami, Fl, NOAA National Oceanographic Data Center (NODC), and NASA Physical Oceanography Distributed Active Archive Center (PO.DAAC). A new version of the Pathfinder Algorithm is used, that allows, among others, the retrieval of twice-daily global SST maps. Important improvements are the more accurate landmask, a finer spatial resolution (4 km instead of 9 km) and the inclusion of sea ice information. Additionally, data quality flags have been improved, e.g. with regard to the aerosol influence.
This is version 5.2! The official name of this data set is "AVHRR Pathfinder Version 5.2 L3-Collated (L3C) sea surface temperature".
Important: For cloudy areas no SST values can be retrieved; here particularly the data set with daily resolution contains numerous gaps. Still it is the daily data we are offering here - separately for day and night overpasses. Monthly average SST data will be generated and provided later.
Last update of data set at ICDC: July 29, 2014.
|Name||Unit / Comment|
|SST||°C (sea surface temperature)|
|dt_analysis||°C (Difference to SST of previous day)|
|Wind speed||m/s (NCEP/DOE AMIP-II Reanalysis)|
|Sea ice fraction||0 ... 1 (entweder OSI-SAF or L4 GHRSST DailyOI SST product)|
|ADI||none (Indicator for atmospheric optical depth)|
|quality level||none (GDS2 conform flags, 0 (missing data) ... 5 (best quality))|
|pf quality level||none (original Pathfinder quality flags)|
|Level 2 data flag||none (Bit-Flag about surface type distribution)|
Period and temporal resolution:
- 01-11-1981 to 31-12-2012
- Daily, separately for day and night overpasses
Coverage and spatial resolution:
- Spatial resolution: 4 km x 4 km, cartesian grid
- Geographic latitude: -90.0°N to 90.0°N
- Geographic longitude: -180°E to 180.0°E
- Dimension: 4320 rows x 8640 columns
- Altitude: 0.0 m
In contrast to version 5.0 of this data set the new version 5.2 does not include an estimate of the standard deviation of the SST for each grid cell. Only the quality flags and the difference to the sst of the previous day give a measure of the quality. It is planned that in Version 6.0 this caveat will be removed.
More information is given on the corresponding website at NODC , at the GHRSST Project Office website, in Kilpatrick et al. (2001) and in Casey et al. (see references).
Kenneth S. Casey, NODC Satellite Oceanography Group
email: Kenneth.Casey (at) noaa.gov
GHRSST Project Office
email: ghrsst-po (at) nceao.ac.uk
ICDC / CEN / University of Hamburg
- Kilpatrick, K. A., Podestá, G. P., and Evans, R. (2001), Overview of the NOAA/NASA advanced very high resolution radiometer Pathfinder algorithm for sea surface temperature and associated matchup database, J. Geophys. Res., 106( C5), 9179– 9197, doi:10.1029/1999JC000065. https://doi.org/10.1029/1999JC000065
- Casey, K.S., T.B. Brandon, P. Cornillon, and R. Evans: The Past, Present and Future of the AVHRR Pathfinder SST Program, in Oceanography from Space: Revisited, eds. V. Barale, J.F.R. Gower, and L. Alberotanza, Springer, 2010. DOI: 10.1007/978-90-481-8681-5_16. https://doi.org/10.1007/978-90-481-8681-5_16
- NODC - Information about the data, a User Guide, tools, and data quality, avhrr-pathfinder-sst, NOAA, https://www.ncei.noaa.gov/products/avhrr-pathfinder-sst
- GHRSST Project Office, http://www.ghrsst.org/
- PODAAC - General informationen to this data set, https://podaac.jpl.nasa.gov/
Please cite the data as follows:
Casey, Kenneth S.; Evans, Robert H.; Baringer, Warner; Kilpatrick, Katherine A.; Podestá, Guillermo P.; Walsh, Susan; Williams, Elizabeth; Brandon, Tess B.; Byrne, Deirdre A.; Foti, Gregg; Li, Yuanjie; Phillips, Sheri A.; Zhang, Dexin; Zhang, Yongsheng (2011). AVHRR Pathfinder version 5.2 level 3 collated (L3C) global 4km sea surface temperature for 1981-2012. [indicate subset used]. NOAA National Centers for Environmental Information. Dataset. https://doi.org/10.7289/v5wd3xhb. Accessed [date].
NODC and Rosenstiel School of Marine and Atmospheric Science. 2003. AVHRR Pathfinder Level 3 Monthly Nighttime SST Version 5. Ver. 5. PO.DAAC, CA, USA. Dataset accessed [YYYY-MM-DD] at https://doi.org/10.5067/PATHF-MON50Distributed in netCDF format by the Integrated Climate Data Center (ICDC), CEN, University of Hamburg, Hamburg, Germany.
and with the following acknowledgments:
Thanks to ICDC, CEN, University of Hamburg for data support.